Saturday, February 9, 2008

WAI WAH METLAKATLA!!!

Here we go again!

I love the feeling I get when I walk into the Civic Center during this time of the year. I go to the Civic Center many, many times throughout the year for my son's hockey, basketball, badminton, and women's ball hockey, but during the All Native Tournament the cultural feelings are strong. I can feel the power of our people when we come together to join in this historical event every year. People hold their heads up high and take pride in being First Nations through the sharing of food, meeting new friends and re-uniting with old friends, listening and watching cultural celebrations, and just being Together. My family spends all day and sometimes well into the evenings at the ANT and we sit in our favourite spots and keep track of who is winning and who is out while eating fried bread, fried oolichans, smoked fish, clam fritters, and my favourite cockle chow mein.

The fans are amazing, especially the Metlakatla Fans - for such a small community we sure have a lot of support. I look forward to playing hard, playing fair, and playing together!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO TEAM GO!!!!
Good luck you guys. I wish I could be there. I will be thinking of you. My mom and dad are taking my place. Play hard!!!!
lol Kerri